Sunday, August 1, 2010

Knitting and nonsense

I've got a cold.  It's a doozy.  Bordering on the bronchitis end of the scale.

So, I've been lazing around in bed, swatching for my new design (it's coming along nicely, Laura) and trying to keep my eyes open.  Watched Clash of the Titans.  Totally stupid but lovely to watch (Sam Worthington is yummy).  I've drunk approximately 14 liters of orange juice.

Oh and did I mention that for the past 3 weeks or so, I've been on a sort of elimination diet?  I hadn't been feeling well for several weeks so I decided that until it all got straightened out, I was only going to eat fruits, vegetables and rice.  And take probiotic pills.  And you know what?  Veganism isn't as difficult as I thought it would be!  Well, it would really help if I could eat wheat, but that's not going to happen, so I made do.  I've been scarfing down all the veggies in our weekly CSA box and have discovered that I don't miss butter and cheese quite as much as I thought I would.  I do miss meat, though.  The thought of a freshly grilled medium-rare steak is making me drool.  So, now that things seem to be going back to normal, I think I'm going to say no to dairy for good and try to eat vegan several times a week (consciously this time, as I had been doing it already, just not intentionally).  I've discovered some amazing-sounding recipes over on Tasty Kitchen, and it's kind of got me pumped up to try some new stuff.  And how awesome does this vegan mac'n'cheese recipe sound (sans bread crumbs and wheat pasta for me, of course)?

I almost forgot!  The new Twist Collective is up!  I am totally in lust with Gwendolyn (she's a sweater, not a real woman, people!) and also Stratocumulus  and Metro too, even though it would make me look like a bus.  And Wellfleet is totally lovely.  Cecily Glowik MacDonald, you are very quickly becoming the apple of my eye.

Don't tell him I said this, but I'm thinking of knitting my husband a nice pullover, next.  I bought some really nice dark blue worsted superwash merino that I think would suit him and I'm trying to finish up my cardigan so that I can really concentrate on it.  I just don't know if I'm going to be able to finish it.  He's a big boy - 6'-2" and 220 lbs (why yes, I am Canadian and yes, I do think in metric and imperial at the same time...and yes, it drives me crazy...and yes, I do wish my country could just pick one and go with it).  His chest is something like 44" around.  It is going to be one MAJOR project.  Tora, how did you ever do it?  And on 3.5mm needles, too!  I don't know if I have the emotional strength for it.  That's why he doesn't know about it, yet (and he may not know about it until it's done).

Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Excited for the new design! I am also drooling over Gwendolyn! Hopefully once I learn how to do cables its something I could tackle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh - blogging coincidence: we made that macaroni earlier this week, and yes, it is all sorts of fabulous. Get well soon; with the aid of cashew nuts you can rule the world! (Or something...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaahhh, nope. No coincidence. I read your post on Wednesday, while I was desperately trying to fight off the ebola virus, or whatever it is I caught this week. I just couldn't remember where I had read it, as I ended up spending some 4 hours online that day, in bed.

    I was thoroughly confused by the appearance of "cheese sauce" in the recipe and I attribute my confusion to the amount of narcotics....er...I mean MEDICINE...I was on at the time. Teehee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're well again now, or at least that you're well enough to start The Big Husband Knitting Project! Don't be afraid of all the stitches (my husband's sweater had about 110 000 of them), think about all that great knitting time ahead of you instead. I loved working on that sweater, and have plans for another one. Just be sure you make him something he'll want to wear..

    ReplyDelete