Thursday, February 18, 2010

I am the worst blogger EVER

OK, maybe not "EVER", but still.  I am such a slacker.  OK, maybe not a "slacker", but definitely not very diligent.

I've been working my arse off.  I know that is a very boring reason for not posting, but it's the truth.  The unvarnished, unavoidable, unexciting truth.

We had a long weekend, last weekend.  I worked.  Then I cooked, cleaned, had a few friends over for a fondue and I went cross-country skiing for a few hours.  That's it.  Lame, lame, lame.  No knitting, no sewing, no drawing, no painting.  Nothing. 

Then I had a snow day yesterday and I worked from home.  At the end of the day, I FINALLY got a chance to do a bit of knitting.  I'm in desperate need of some sweaters, this being winter and all.  I've started a top-down raglan that I'm designing as I go (sorry, I didn't think of taking any photos...but I WILL, I swear).  I have no idea how it will turn out, but it's been really nice to work on, so I don't really care what it looks like.  If it sucks, I will just start over.

That's my lesson to you, today.  If you are knitting something and it sucks, don't get upset.  Just rip it back and start over.  Knitting is fun, you obviously enjoy doing it - otherwise, you wouldn't do it.  In the words of the BFG, am I right or am I left?  If you are going to go to the trouble of knitting something that requires a long time investment, make sure you like it.  And if you don't know that you hate it until you've sewn the ends in, blocked it, and tried it on (or even worn it a time or two), so what?  Take it apart and start over.  Or you could find a recipient for it. 

{I am a selfish knitter, so I would reuse the yarn for myself.  No-one seems to properly appreciate handknits, except other handknitters and exceptionally grateful husbands (just had to throw that in, in case my exceptionally grateful husband reads this and gets all indignant on me).} 

Every new knitting project, be it small or humongous, is a chance to learn and refine your skill.  If you're starting out, don't focus too much on the finished product - see it as a learning process (even if you feel like it's taking your forever to get anywhere).  Perfectionism is all fine and dandy for surgeons and architects, but it has no place in the life of someone learning a new art form.  And yes, knitting is an art form.

I have a favour to ask you:  I've created a new "pattern" and I need someone to proofread it.  Preferably this would be done by someone with some raglan-sweater-knitting experience, but I'll take what I can get.  Any takers?  Send me an email (my address is at the top of the sidebar) and let me know if you're interested in giving me a hand.  The only thing I can offer in exchange is good karma and my undying gratitude (two things that are worth their weight in gold, I tell ya).

No comments:

Post a Comment